This is my version of what the first mars colony might look like. It's designed to be as realistic as possible. The first goal for the astronauts landing on mars will be to survive. This version encompasses everything those astronauts will have to bring with them to survive.
Shelter is critical, and the only way to transport large shelters to mars would be to make the shelters inflatable. These inflatable shelters could have and inner and outer layer. Dirt in the martian surface will be combined with a binding agent to generate a concrete like substance which will be set in between those layers to produce a more solid structure and help protect the astronauts from harmful cosmic rays. These inflatable structures are modular and are connected by a walkway.
There is a greenhouse for growing edible algae (Spirulina) which will offer the colony with simple to grow food, and biofuel.
The "machine room" as it's called homes devices that extract water from the soil and divide some of the water into oxygen and hydrogen through electrolysis. The water that is not split is used by the astronauts. Oxygen is used for breathing, and hydrogen is combined with carbon dioxide, made from burning Spirulina, to generate Methane, which is exactly what the reusable rocket engines will run on. this way the astronauts could potentially have a way back home.
From the time the rocket enters Mars' atmosphere, 80% of the rocket will had been jettisoned. The remaining part of the rocket will use the remainder of it's fuel to slow its' descent and property on the martian surface.
- "vacuum" that sucks up dirt and mixes it with the binding agent.
- Methane storage tank.
- Electrolysis machine
- Binding agent storage tanks
- Biofuel powered generator
- Water storage for drinking
- Hollow walkway that is cut away for viewing pleasure
- Binding agent storage tanks are kept close to the walkway
- water extraction machines
- reusable rocket with methane powered motors
- Greenhouse could have clear dome around it, but for printing functions has a ring to make it visible.
- Solar panels would offer energy before the Spirulina starts to grow.
- Tubes full of growing Spirulina. Spirulina is a super food that is super good for you, it makes goo astronaut food.
- Got your traditional lounge. Nice sofa to rest on after a long day on the job.
- Basic kitchen with living requirements.
The document "entire_base" gets the whole mars foundation made small enough for the entire thing to fit on the Makerbot Replicator 2 build platform.
All of the files end with a X4 are multiplied in size by 4 in the original version, and are meant to be printed out separately and glue together. Separately, all of these components will fit on a Makerbot Replicator 2 build platform.